Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Into the Vortex...

A few years ago, I went shopping with my wife. As she picked up some wooden double pointed knitting needles, I commented, "I can make those for less." Of course I had never made a knitting needle but how hard could it be? I mean really, it was a pair of sticks with points on either end! Well, she went ahead and bought her needles and I walked over to the modeling section and picked up some dowels. When we got home, I quickly began to sharpen out the points. Only to find out she wanted them to have smooth tapers. As I studied the issue, a light bulb exploded in my head that would forever change my hobbies. I took a dowel and chucked it in my cordless drill. Holding the trigger with one hand, I applied sand paper to the tip and "turned" the tapers. A few days later, I discovered that a wood lathe would make this much easier. I bought my first lathe and from then was caught in the vortex of woodturning. Prior to this, my workshop consisted of a two foot by three foot table in the utility closet of my garage. Today, my shop takes up half of a two car garage. Meanwhile, my wood-turning hobby has grown to encompass many aspects of woodworking. My shop also serves as the focal point for every project I take on around the house. I hope you will join me in the various woodworking and household workshop projects. Until then, I'll be in the vortex...

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment